• Error reading value for MakerNotes entry 2

Started by dimitri_c, July 29, 2013, 02:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimitri_c

Hello -

I used Exiftool since a while now, I never had problem with it.
I always use the same command line: "exiftool -artist="Dimitri XXXXXXX" -copyright="Dimitri XXXXXXX" /Volumes/Works/iPhotoLibrary/Originals/2013/28\ Jul\ 2013/L1000XXX.DNG"
But, recently I bought a new camera and since I try to use Exiftool, I always get the following error message:

"Warning [minor]  Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -114?) - /Volumes/Works/iPhotoLibrary/Originals/2013/xx Jul 2013/L1000XXX.DNG
Error [ minor]  Error reading value for MakerNotes entry 2 - /Volumes/Works/iPhotoLibrary/Originals/2013/xx Jul 2013/L1000XXX.DNG
   0 image files updated
   1 files weren't updated due to errors
"

And of course it doesn't update the metadata in my pictures...

Is there a way to fix this problem?
Or at least a way to avoid the problem, and let Exiftool update some metadata in my pictures?

Thank you, very much, have a nice day...

- Dimitri

Phil Harvey

Hi Dimitri,

Are these DNG images straight from the camera?  If so, what type of camera?  If not, what software was used to write these?

FAQ number 15 explains these problem in the context of JPEG images, but I don't recall ever having seen this for DNG images.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dimitri_c

Hello Phil -

First of all, thank you so much to have programmed "ExifTool", I like it a lot!
Secondly, if it works with my new camera, I'll make a donation (PayPal®)

Now concerning your questions...

•  The camera is a new Leica® "M" (Typ240)
•  The camera save the file as .DNG compressed (that was already the case with my old "M9").
•  YES, the .DNG are straight from the camera.
•  I only write some copyright information and some keywords with the MAC Terminal (OS 10.6.8).
•  I have downloaded and installed the latest MAC version yesterday, but the problem is still there (and I'm so sad, because the only alternative I found is to install Adobe® Lightroom®, but I would like to avoid this "solution").

Thank you for your reply, have a nice day...

- Dimitri

Phil Harvey

Hi Dimitri,

Ah, right.  The wonderful world of the Leica M.  The maker notes written by this camera are particularly buggy.  I forgot that ExifTool also gave a "possibly incorrect offsets" warning for this camera.  There are lots of other problems too.  Use the -m option without the -F option for these DNG's.  And check to be sure the Leica software doesn't have a problem reading these images afterwards.  Also, I would suggest avoiding Adobe utilities because they will make a bigger mess if you use them to touch the Leica M DNG's.  (Although maybe after editing with ExifTool they would be OK.)

> exiftool LeicaM.dng -a -warning
Warning                         : [minor] Empty ApplicationNotes data
Warning                         : [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -114?)
Warning                         : [minor] Error reading value for MakerNotes entry 2

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).