"tagsfromfile" does not fully copy all data; breaks Lightroom

Started by photoggerr, August 21, 2013, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photoggerr

Hi,

I'm posting this as a "bug" since my understanding is that "tagsfromfile" should produce a 1:1 copy of all metadata. Here's the command that I run:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.NEF -overwrite_original -ext TIFF .

I then import the newly saved TIFF file into Lightroom (v4 and v5), go to DEVELOP -> LENS CORRECTIONS and click on "Enable Profile Corrections". In the case of NEF, Lightroom automatically detects the lens. In the case of the TIFF file, it doesn't.

Sample files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28578986/exiftool_test.rar

Phil Harvey

1) Your command will copy metadata to the preferred group, so one shouldn't expect the result to be the same.  Add -all:all after -tagsfromfile to copy to the same group.

2) Some of the tags may be unsafe and/or not writable by ExifTool.  You must specify the tag name explicitly to copy unsafe tags.

3) Some of the DNG tags may not be appropriate in a TIFF image.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

photoggerr

Thanks, Phil.

Before writing my post, I tried using '-all:all' but Lightroom still failed to detect the lens. ExifTool also didn't produce any errors (e.g., complained about unsafe tags).

The most puzzling thing is that it only doesn't work only for this particular lens. Any ideas? NEF is fine, TIFF is not.

Phil Harvey

ExifTool does not complain about unsafe tags unless you use the -v2 option.  But this is only one possibility.  It may be more likely that Lightroom is looking somewhere else for the lens information.  If you can find out where it is looking, then you can write this with ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

photoggerr

But if -all:all produces identical copy, why would it not work?

Phil Harvey

-all:all does not necessarily produce an identical copy for reasons 2 and 3 above.

- Phil