Main Menu

Lens Serial Number

Started by vladcuevas, November 10, 2012, 12:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladcuevas

Hello everyone,

I'm new reading the canon .cr2 files with the exit tool, but I would like to be able to read the lens serial number not the model, more like the "0x000c Serial Number" but for the lens.

Is it posible?

I'm reading 50D and 5DMkII files with the following lenses: two 35mm f/1.4 L, 40mm STM, 70-200 L IS II, 100mm Macro L and 17-40mm L.

thanks
Vladimir

Phil Harvey

Hi Vladimir,

As far as I know the LensSerialNumber is not stored by those cameras (at least it hasn't yet been decoded if it is hidden somewhere in the maker notes).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

vladcuevas

Hi Phil,

Last time I forgot to say thanks, so thank you for your answer.

Now I have a 5D MK III and I'm trying to get the LensSerialNumber. I made an htmlDump and got the value in HEX. I have 2 questions.
1. Do you know if this is the real serial number? (The one that it's printed in the lens)
2. How could I translate the HEX to Decimal?. I get the following line:
037c  |  35 a4 02 00 0b 00 00 00  80 11 01 00  |   5........... |  ExifIFD-37 LensSerialNumber
and the Value is 000045d942 that I converted with a normal hex to decimal converter to 4577602 but the lens serial number is 5221293.

Thank you in advance.
Vladimir

Phil Harvey

Hi Vladimir,

All I know is that EXIF:LensSerialNumber is a standard tag that is supposed to be stored in ASCII, so it is interpreted as ASCII by ExifTool.  I haven't personally verified that in the numbers stored by the 5DmkIII are correct.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).