Not all dates is being changed with -AllDates command :/

Started by Bl00m, November 10, 2013, 05:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bl00m

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this program and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but here is my problem...

I borrowed a friend camera to shoot a show yesterday and when I was importing my photos to Nikon ViewNX2 I realized that the date was off by a couple of month, so it said that every single one of the photos were taken on 2013-04-16 (YYYY-MM-DD) when it was supposed to be 2013-11-09.

I'm using a Macbook Pro....

So I found this program and searched around for the right commands and came up with this:

To change the month:
exiftool -P -k "-AllDates+=0:7:0 0:0:0" DIR

And the day:
exiftool -P -k "-AllDates-=0:0:7 0:0:0" DIR

And that looks to work fine, just that in ViewNX2 and fileinformation 1 it still says that is was created in 2013-04-16 and last edited the same date... But in fileinformation 2 it says that the photo was taken 2013-11-09

So then I found a command to print a file with all the metadata:

exiftool -k -a -u -g1 -w doc DIR

And in that file every date I can find seems to be correct...

So is everything good and that it is just ViewNX that has something else stored somewere in a file for those photos?

Hope you understand my problem and can help me :)

Kind regards
Patrik

Phil Harvey

Hi Patrik,

I don't know if ViewNX2 maintains a separate database with this information.  Try doing this to a new file before you import into ViewNX2 to see if this works.  If so, you just need to figure out how to update the ViewNX2 information for files already imported.  Perhaps asking in a Nikon forum would help.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Bl00m

Yeah I dont know either :/ yeah I will try that aswell :)

The thing is that the create and edit date is not even changed if I check the files with "view info" in the rightclick menu of Finder :/

It seems to change the date when the photo is taken but not the create and changed dates :/ not even in Lightroom.

I but according to you the commands that I have used is correct and should change every date in the Exif metadata?

EDIT: I tried To import a photo that I edited the date in and that seems to get everything right :P So it has to be some kind of index file that is spooking around :P

Thanks for your respons and a powerful program, hope to learn more about the powers of this program :)

//Patrik

Phil Harvey

The -alldates shortcut represents only common EXIF date/time tags.  The "view info" tags you mention are not EXIF.  See FAQ 24 for more information.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Bl00m

Ah okej Thank you Phil! :)

Great to get a quick response :)

Kind regards
Patrik