Using ExifTool to embed XML metadata

Started by IronValley, November 11, 2013, 07:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronValley

Hello Phil, and  other users who frequent this board.

I'm quite new to the world of metadata, so bear with me if my requests or questions seem silly or uninformed. I'm  trying to add metadata to a small set of content for a project, however, the content contains both Video and Images of various types. Ideally I want to use the same XML schema for both the video content and the images. At the moment I've worked with the EBUcore metadata schema, and plan to convert all videos to the MXF format.

Now, ideally, I want to be able to use the same XML schema for images as well, but I have not yet found a good way to embed it, and the ExifTool seems like a possible sollution. However, I am unsure how I should manage the image content.

-Is there an image format that supports embedding XML metadata?
-Does ExifTool attempt to validate the XML data?

I did previously try to use ExifTool to embed a set XML metadata to an image. After renaming the executable to 'exiftool.exe', I ran the following in cmd:

exiftool.exe world1.png "-xml+<=test1.xml"

0 image files updated
1 image files unchanged

What went wrong here?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: IronValley on November 11, 2013, 07:22:00 AM
-Is there an image format that supports embedding XML metadata?

Jpeg2000 supports XML.  Other image formats support XMP (which is RDF/XML based).

Quote-Does ExifTool attempt to validate the XML data?

No.  But it does do some very cursory XMP validation.

exiftool.exe world1.png "-xml+<=test1.xml"

0 image files updated
1 image files unchanged

What went wrong here?

There is no writable "XML" tag in PNG images.  See the PNG tags documentation for a list of all supported PNG tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).