Add keywords to PNG OSX

Started by mcquiff, December 05, 2013, 08:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcquiff

Not sure where I am going wrong this is what I am using

/usr/bin/exiftool -P  -overwrite_original_in_place -keywords+='Green Fabric And Drop Necklace' -headline='BH70SC00003GN7FB' -source='' '/Volumes/Image/2012-2013/WK2/BH/BH_WK2_PSD/BH70SC00003GN7FB.png'

Not sure why the data isn't showing.

Phil Harvey

"Showing" where?  What is the output of this command?:

/usr/bin/exiftool -G -keywords -headline '/Volumes/Image/2012-2013/WK2/BH/BH_WK2_PSD/BH70SC00003GN7FB.png'

I suspect this is FAQ 3.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mcquiff

Hmm

I had a little bit of luck,

/usr/bin/exiftool -a -overwrite_original_in_place -subject+='Vintage Ring Pack ' -subject='DV25RI02768MU1GO' -subject='' '/Volumes/Image/2012-2013/WK1/DIVA/DIVA_WK1_PSD/DV25RI02768MU1GO.png'

The result show this
XMP Toolkit                     : Image::ExifTool 9.41
Subject                         : V shape gold and stone ring
Image Size                      : 1157x980

When I open in Preview or Photoshop (or search with spotlight) the keywords don't show?

Phil Harvey

Now we're talking about a different problem.

This is a known problem in the Adobe and Apple utilities.  Add -api PNGEarlyXMP (case sensitive) to your command to write something that these dumb utilities can deal with.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mcquiff

I started to read that but I just didn't understand it. Tried it now and I can see in photoshop, it shows in description > keywords.

Not sure why but photoshop isn't finding it. Should I be placing it in a different metadata title?

Phil Harvey

No, this is correct.

You should submit bug reports to Adobe and Apple because they should be able to read the XMP in the default location written by ExifTool.

- Phil

mcquiff

Indeed this does sound like a bug, just did a few test.

So this is what I enter on terminal

exiftool -a -overwrite_original_in_place -subject='2-in-1 brooch & necklace' /Volumes/Image/2012-2013/WK1/Freedom/Freedom_WK1_PSD/FR10NW11894BK1GO.png

OPEN IN PREVIEW,  PRESS CMD I  TO REVEAL THE KEYWORDS, AND NOTHING

Now enter a keyword for example "test" and save the file
Run the same text open and it shows the keywords added underneath the line test.

Remove all keywords save again, run the terminal and nothing again

With the

-api PNGEarlyXMP

added the same occurs

I'm on mavericks, (quite a few little bugs in it at the moment)

Phil Harvey

I am surprised.  If you used the PNGEarlyXMP option in ExifTool, you should see the keywords (if written as XMP Subject) in Preview.  I know this works for OS X 10.8.5, and I thought it was the same for 10.9 (although I can't verify this right now).

- Phil

mcquiff

Fingers crossed spotlight now searching

replaced

subject
with

-XMP:subject

Many Thanks

Matt

Phil Harvey

Hi Matt,

Writing Subject with ExifTool is the same as XMP:Subject.

- Phil