Information on subsetting in fonts

Started by laudrain, October 15, 2013, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laudrain

Hi,

I use exiftool to extract metadata from font files (otf, ttf). It works fine.
I am wondering if exiftool can extract the information that the actual font file analysed has been subsetted from the original file?

Best

Phil Harvey

I'm afraid that I don't understand your meaning.  ExifTool extracts as much metadata from these files as it can.  You may be able to use the -v3 option to see more details about what is stored in the file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

laudrain

Thank you for your answer.
My concern is about subsetted fonts. A subsetted font is a font where characters have been stripped of  because they are not used by the text to be rendered with that font file.
It is not clear to me if there is any metadata is the subsetted font file that gives a hint of that status. But if there were any, I suppose Exiftool would show it.
Any idea?
Best,
Luc

Phil Harvey

Hi Luc,

Sorry, I don't know anything about subsetted fonts.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).