News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Get GPS data from a .mov file

Started by dvazquez, December 07, 2013, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvazquez

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get the GPS information embedded into a .mov file recorded with a DoD-Tec cammera for the car. Is it possible to do it with ExifTool? I have tryied but as I'm new maybe I have not enought experience. I could get basic information from the .mov as the codec, date... but no the GPS.

Can any help me? Thank so much.

Phil Harvey

ExifTool will extract GPS from the metadata in a MOV image, but currently it won't extract it if embedded in the video stream.  However, this is top of my list of things to do over the Christmas holidays.  It would be helpful if you could send me a short sample with GPS embedded.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dvazquez

Hi Phil,

I have tryed to send you the mail but it has been rejected because Im not in your local receptive table.

My mail is dvazquez@cvc.uab.es

Phil Harvey

Queen's University has a mail grey-listing strategy to help with spam.  It rejects the first mail from any new sender, but your SMTP relay host should retry automatically (probably after an hour).  If it doesn't, just try sending again.  Thanks.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dvazquez

Sorry, my mistake. I have send you the mail now with the videos.

Phil Harvey

I got the samples, thanks.  I'll see what I can do over the Christmas holidays to extract GPS from these.

- Phil

asapronov

Hi

I need this option too
Some way needed to extract EXIF GPSLatitude and Longtitude linked with time or frame index of MP4 or MOV video (by video registrator)

I can send examples of video with GPS metadata, but they are large, up to 4Gb

Phil Harvey

I think I have enough samples, thanks.  I have worked a bit on this and haven't made much headway yet, but I plan to dedicate a couple of days in the next week for working on this.

- Phil

asapronov

asapronov

Phil Harvey

Sorry.  There are a few threads on this topic.  Here is the current status.

- Phil