News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

How to copy missing MakersNotes tags from one tif file another (Pentax K-01)

Started by Foma2, December 08, 2013, 05:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foma2

Hi, Phil. I need to write tags from one image file to another.

I've got the following files :
001 A.DNG is an original RAW file from Pentax K-01 digital camera.
001 B DxO.tif is the DNG file converted to TIFF format via Dxo.
001 D DxO NW Ps.tif is 001 B DxO.tif processed in Photoshop.

After processing a file in Photoshop it loses MakersNotes (Pentax section in EXIF data) including Lens Type data.
I need to restore it so that Dxo can see Lens Types and apply corrections properly.
I run this command :
exiftool -tagsFromFile  "001 B DxO.tif" "001 D DxO NW Ps.tif"
I says
1 image files updated
and the file is updated but MakersNotes (Pentax section in EXIF data) is still missing, and DxO cannot detect a lens used.

ExifTool Version : 9.42

I would appreciate if you could let me know how to copy tags across from one TIF file to another.
Thank you.

PS I can email image files to you but I do not know your email address.

Phil Harvey

This works when copying from the original DNG file (which is TIFF based), so there must be something different about the DxO TIFF file.  Are you sure the DxO file contains the Make, Model and MakerNotes information?  I'll take a look if you send me the images.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Foma2

Phil Harvey

Wow, thanks.

I am able to reproduce this problem.

I am going to have to fix this at my end.

The problem arises from Pentax's inconsistency in storing maker notes.  They are stored differently in DNG files for some models, and recent models also changed the way they are stored in JPEG files.   ExifTool has a patch to deal with the DNG inconsistency, but that patch is now causing problems with the different format of the JPG maker notes for recent models.

This should be fixed in version 9.44, which I will try to release within a few days.

Thanks for pointing out this problem, and for the samples so I could track this down.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Foma2

Thanks, Phil.
I thought I was doing something wrong.
Apparently, not.
I am looking farward to trying a new version of ExifTool.

Foma2

Hi , Phil. I've tried version 9.44 today. It works fine with Pentax image files.
Thanks a lot.