Installing ExifTools-9.58 fails?

Started by cbush67, May 01, 2014, 05:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbush67

On Mac OS 10.9.2.  Download works, get ExitTool-9.58.pkg.  Then get "unidentified developer".  Then clicking OK.  Then nothing telling me it did or did not do anything.

No ExifTool* in /usr/bin.  ???   Lots of "ExifTools.pm" scattered  in the computer but I cant get perl program below to work??? 

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Image::ExifTool ':Public';
my $file = shift or die "Please specify filename";
my $info = ImageInfo($file);
foreach (keys %$info) {
    print "$_ : $info->{$_}\n";
}

Can't locate Image/ExifTool.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.16 /Network/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.16 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.16 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16 .) at untitled text 2 line 2.

I

Phil Harvey

If you want to write Perl scripts that use Image::ExifTool, you should install the full package.  From the install instructions for OS X:

If you have installed the BSDSDK package from the Xcode Developer Tools (ie. if you have the "make" utility), you should follow the install procedure for Unix platforms in the next section instead of the steps below. The Unix install has the advantage of making the ExifTool library available for your Perl scripts, as well as installing the man pages and POD documentation.

The OS X Package installs in /usr/bin, and reading the install instructions may help with the problem you had here too:

In OS X 10.8 or later, you may see this message when you try to open the install package:
    "ExifTool-#.##.pkg" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
The solution is to set "Allow applications downloaded from" to "Anywhere" in the General "Security & Privacy" System Preferences.

but it sounds like you wanted the full package and the Unix installation anyway.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cbush67

Well, well, well, I got it all to work and I solved my problem using Exiftool.   It's been a struggle, having not used Unix & Perl for 23 years. 

My problem was that my camera put a description into EXIF which Picassa (Web photo album site) insisted on using for a caption. I first tried to write my own perl program to remove this attribute but even with the  JEITA doc at hand after two 2/3 days gave up on figuring out this crazy metadata format.

Then I found your Exiftool.  My god there is a lot to it.  It is of gem quality with enough examples to get me through.

Thank you much.

Chuck

Phil Harvey

Hi Chuck,

Great!  I'm glad you got it sorted out.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).