Exiftool not found Metadata operations disabled

Started by brainstewn, December 12, 2013, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brainstewn

I installed the folder on drive that is not the operating drive.  When I open the .exe I get an error message window that says, "ERROR: Exiftool not found! Metadata operations disabled"

How do resolve this error?

Phil Harvey

It sounds like you are talking about ExifTool GUI.  Read the "Requirements and preparations" section of the ExifTool GUI manual for instructions.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dmeek

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with EXIFTool GUI; I've followed the directions and have installed in a top level directory "C:\mytools". The only thing I can think is that I'm running the .exe on a Mac using Parallels. Could this be the source of the problem?
Any advice would be much appreciated,
Best,
David

Phil Harvey

Hi David,

Can you open a cmd.exe window?  If so, what happens when you type "exiftool"?  If you can run exiftool this way, then ExifToolGUI should be able to find it.  If you can't run exiftool this way, then make sure "exiftool.exe" is placed somewhere in your Windows PATH.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

vnelson

I just encountered the same problem.  The answer is that exiftool.exe is NOT in the ZIP file (as of 4/16/2014).  You need to download the file- exiftool(-k).exe, put it in the same directory as ExifToolGUI.exe BUT rename it to just exiftool.exe.

vnelson

Update: It now runs but on closing says it cannot save the GUI settings. It doesn't seem to effect the results, i.e., it does copy EXIF.  Maybe the exiftool.exe should be located somewhere else and someone can track that down.

Phil Harvey

The ExifTool GUI manual gives instructions on the necessary steps for installation.

- Phil