Create IPTC tag if it does not exist

Started by michael.haar, January 14, 2014, 09:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael.haar

Hi there,
I'm using ExifTool 8.5 and I'm trying to append some information to the 'caption-abstract' tag using this command:

exiftool -IPTC:Caption-Abstract<$caption-abstract ${caption} -charset Latin -overwrite_original /data/images/$imageFilename

This works great for images that already have the 'caption-abstract' tag but ExifTool only gives a warning ("No writable tags") if the image does not have the 'caption-abstract' tag before I try to append something.

How can I make ExifTool to create the tag if it does not exist?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I was unable to figure it out.
Thanks in advance!
Michael

Phil Harvey

Hi Michael,

There are 2 ways:

1) Use either -f or -m.  From the application documentation:

If a specified tag does not exist, a minor warning is issued and
            the line with the missing tag is not printed.  However, the -f
            option may be used to set the value of missing tags to '-' (but
            this may be configured via the MissingTagValue API option), or the
            -m option may be used to ignore minor warnings and leave the
            missing values empty.

2) Assign the value to the caption-abstract in the same command, before the append:

exiftool "-caption-abstract=TEST1" "-caption-abstract<$caption-abstract TEST2" ...

In this example, the Caption-Abstract will be set to TEST1 if it doesn't already exist.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

michael.haar

Hi Phil,

thanks for your fast response. Unfortunately I'm still unable to get the desired result.
-f or -m does not change anything:
exiftool -f "-caption-abstract<$caption-abstract TEST2" image.jpg
still says "No writable tags found".

This command:
exiftool "-caption-abstract=TEST2" "-caption-abstract<$caption-abstract TEST2" image.jpg
sets "caption-abstract" to "TEST2" if does not exist BUT it replaces "caption-abstract" with "TEST2" if it was present instead of appending "TEST2" to the existing "caption-abstract".

Please help!
Regards,
Michael

Phil Harvey

Right.  I should have suggested that you upgrade to a more recent version.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

michael.haar

Hi Phil,

I updated to version 9.46 but it is still not working.
This command:
exiftool "-caption-abstract=TEST2" "-caption-abstract<$caption-abstract TEST2" image.jpg
still always sets "caption-abstract" to "TEST2" regardless of the tag being present when I execute the command or not.

But I want ExifTool to set "caption-abstract" to "TEST2" if the image does not have this tag and append "TEST2" to the value of the tag if it is present.

Any other idea?
Regards,
Michael

Phil Harvey

Hi Michael,

I'm on a Mac so I use single quotes instead of double quotes:

> exiftool -ver

> exiftool -all= a.jpg
    1 image files updated

> exiftool '-caption-abstract=TEST1' '-caption-abstract<$caption-abstract TEST2' a.jpg
Warning: [minor] Tag 'caption-abstract' not defined - a.jpg
Warning: No writable tags set from a.jpg
    1 image files updated

> exiftool -caption-abstract a.jpg
Caption-Abstract                : TEST1

> exiftool '-caption-abstract=TEST1' '-caption-abstract<$caption-abstract TEST2' a.jpg
    1 image files updated

Caption-Abstract                : TEST1 TEST2

> exiftool -caption-abstract="something else" a.jpg
    1 image files updated

1 image files updated

Caption-Abstract                : something else TEST2

- Phil

michael.haar

Phil,
I must have done something wrong yesterday: today I followed your instructions and it works now!
Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Michael