News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Batch Copy All Metadata to Same Name and Extension Files in Different Folder

Started by Oskar, January 17, 2014, 08:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oskar

Hello! First of all, thank you for this marvelous tool I just discovered! I have no problem when using it on a file by file basis. I have troubles trying to copy all metadata from multiple files to other files with the same name from a different folder. Here is the folder structure:

Source files folder: c:\Temp\Valeb
Destination files folder: c:\Temp\Valem
Each folder contains an identical number of .mov files(from MVI_1640 to MVI_1689).
I tried to run the following command:

exiftool -tagsFromfile %dc:\Temp\Valeb\%fmov -r -all:all -overwrite_original -ext mov c:\Temp\Valem

but got the following error for all the files:

Warning: Error opening file - c:/Temp/Valem/c:\Temp\Valeb\MVI_1640
Warning: Error opening file - c:/Temp/Valem/c:\Temp\Valeb\MVI_1689

I guess there is an error in the way I name the destination files or folder. Could you please help me whith that?
Best regards,
Oskar.

Phil Harvey

Hi Oskar,

First, you should be aware that ExifTool only writes XMP and some date/time tags to MOV videos.

To fix your problem, try -tagsfromfile c:\Temp\Valeb\%f.mov

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Oskar

Oskar

Hello! Again a small problem:

If I type the commands in a command line window and run them one by one they run fine. If I put several commands in a batch file and try to run the batch I get errors. The batch file lines look like this:

exiftool -tagsFromfile d:\RAWs\%f.mov -r -all:all -overwrite_original -ext mov d:\dest\01
exiftool -tagsFromfile d:\RAWs\%f.mov -r -all:all -overwrite_original -ext mov d:\dest\02
exiftool -tagsFromfile d:\RAWs\%f.mov -r -all:all -overwrite_original -ext mov d:\dest\03

Could you please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Oskar

Just found the answer:

In a Windows batch file double the %.

Thank you!!!!