News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Rename EXIFTOOL (-K)

Started by cooperin, January 18, 2014, 10:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooperin

Running win 7 and do not know how to rename exiftool (-K) to exiftool.

Any help?
Thanks

Phil Harvey

I'm a Mac person, but I would guess that it should be as simple as clicking on the name, then deleting the "(-k)".  Either that, or right clicking on the application, then selecting "Properties..." and maybe you can change the name there too.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cooperin

Phil, thanks for the quick reply.
As I said I am running win 7. If I rt click on the name of the above app, all I get is a small window box that gives me the choices of  open, cut, copy, delete, properties. No rename.
Click on properties and can't change the name and the attributes are greyed out.
Any other suggestion?
I download the GUI program to use with your program.
Richard

Phil Harvey

Quote from: cooperin on January 18, 2014, 12:54:16 PM
Any other suggestion?

Maybe someone else who is more familiar with Windows can shed some light on this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MOL

Richard,

Quote from: cooperin on January 18, 2014, 12:54:16 PMAny other suggestion?

Looks like you don't have the necessary permissions to perform that operation:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/rename-a-file

-Uwe

cooperin

Uwe, got it. Thank you.

Now that I can get the EXIF data, any more suggestions on what EXIF data may suggest that the original image has be modified, manipulated, changed, etc.
Richard

Phil Harvey

Hi Richard,

If you are interested in changes to the image itself, a good indicator is the JPEGDigest:

exiftool -jpegdigest test.jpg

Compare the result with a file you know hasn't been modified.

- Phil

cooperin

Phil, thank you for your help in using your excellent program.

Part of my interest are the images used as court evidence. It is easy enough for the photographer to say no modifications. The images still need to be verified.

Whether the camera converts the image in the camera to a JPEG file or saves the image as a RAW file for processing off camera, images can be modified or changed by software.

I am trying to understand any tell tail signs of modification and without an original (that may have been modified intentionally or not) it would seem difficult but not impossible.

Any additional thoughts would be welcomed.
Richard

Phil Harvey

Hi Richard,

All you need is any image shot at the same JPEG size/quality for comparison.  You can often find original samples at camera test sites like imaging-resource.com

You can also take a look at the metadata using ExifTool (especially its structure with the -htmlDump feature), but it is fairly easy to preserve the original metadata if you know what you are doing.

- Phil

cooperin

Can you explain what "Native Digest" is?
Thanks
Richard

Phil Harvey

NativeDigest is an XMP tag written by Adobe products.  I don't know its specific purpose.

- Phil