How to Print EXIF data

Started by cooperin, January 22, 2014, 09:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooperin

The program produces excellent EXIF data which is important to me for my records.

How do I print out the EXIF data that shows in the right hand window of the program?

I am running win 7.

Thanks
Richard

Phil Harvey

Hi Richard,

I think the usual thing to do would be to send the ExifTool output to a .txt file:

exiftool image.jpg > out.txt

Then print the .txt file using your favourite technique.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cooperin

Hi Phil, thanks again for my education.

I can export the EXIF data as either a txt file (10.5KB) or an HTML file (763KB).

Why is the MTML file larger and by the way much more detailed but harder for me to understand until I look up the tag descriptions?

Richard

cooperin

Phil, interesting, if I scroll down using the HTML file format about 3/4 of the way down the data appears in a readable form that I can print out.
Thanks as always
Richard

Phil Harvey

How are you exporting these files?  It sounds like you aren't using the exiftool command-line application.  But if you are, tell me the command you are using and I can answer your question.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cooperin

Phil, I am using the stand alone version with a separate GUI program and running win 7.

The export to a txt file works just right.

Am I correct that the headings EXIF, XMP, IPTC and Maker data is all included in the heading ALL so when I print it out, I should not be missing any data.?

I think so but want to make sure.

Appreciate.
Richard

Phil Harvey

Hi Richard,

I can't answer about whether the GUI extracts everything.  With the command-line application, you get everything if you add the -a option (to allow duplicate tags).

- Phil