News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Unhappy changing lenses

Started by B.marx, January 30, 2014, 01:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.marx

There was an error in recording the last photo . I feel that the exchange of lenses with the camera turned on the raw files became corrupted recorded , but can still be read partially with exiftool .
We have the following information
---- ExifTool ----
ExifTool Version Number : 9:48
Error : File format error
---- System ----
File Name : IMG_3589.CR2
Directory : C :/ Users / Carol / Desktop / camera
File Size : 25 MB
File Modification Date / Time: 2013:11:30 19:01:20-02:00
File Access Date / Time: 2014:01:28 15:03:08-02:00
File Creation Date / Time: 2014:01:28 15:03:08-02:00
File Permissions : rw - rw - rw -
Before changing lenses other raw files can be read normally.
Make: Canon
File Type : CR2
Camera Model Name : Canon EOS REBEL T3i
problem
These corrupted files are not accessed by any imaging program , and I can not enter any information with exiftool or work with these files .
I'm in the same situation as the dinosaur park trying to insert pieces of DNA to fix a big mess ?

( https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic , 3570.msg16206.html # msg16206 )
File Access Date / Time: 2014:01:28 15:03:08-02:00
File Creation Date / Time: 2014:01:28 15:03:08-02:00
File Permissions : rw - rw - rw -
Before changing lenses other raw files can be read normally.
Make: Canon
File Type : CR2
Camera Model Name : Canon EOS REBEL T3i
problem
These corrupted files are not accessed by any imaging program , and I can not enter any information with exiftool or work with these files .
I'm in the same situation as the dinosaur park trying to insert pieces of DNA to fix a big mess ?

( https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic , 3570.msg16206.html # msg16206 )

Phil Harvey

In 99% of cases like this, the raw image is not recoverable.  However, in about half the cases an embedded JPEG  may be extracted (see this post).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

B.marx

Thanks for helping me, this program has opened up a new world for me. :)
issue 2
I'm using windows 7 with CR2 files from Canon, but exiftool reads the file, but not extracts or jpg files that are not corrupt.
I installed ActivePerl extract_preview and put the script as suggested, saving as extract_preview.pm in the lib directory.
But this is showing error msg in the CMD console
"This script requires Image :: ExifTool - please install it"
Any suggestions: (

B.marx

Update

Was trying to reproduce the error yesterday in order to study it better, but the windows that always likes to surprise me, presented a new message access denied

Phil Harvey

I don't know what you are talking about with "extract_preview.pm".  There is no such Perl module.

To get the ExifTool libraries working, download the full Perl Image-ExifTool distribution, and put the contained "lib" directory in the same directory as "extract_preview".

Then the command line should be:

perl "c:\the directory where you put it\extract_preview" c:\temp

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).