News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

saving filename to metadata field

Started by stonecherub, February 09, 2014, 10:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonecherub

With a thousand newly scanned color transparencies, I want to save the scan company's unwieldy filename as data just in case I ever have to return to the archived original scanned file (OK, I'm paranoid, so what?). I can't figure out how to do this using the help files and don't know if it can even be done. I tried to use the tag "XMP Photoshop\author Title" as a re-purposed container but it can be put in any text field, I don't care. 

StarGeek

I believe xmp:Title would be the appropriate place to stick it, though I could be wrong.

From IPTC Standards "IPTC Core" Schema for XMP pdf

"Title
This field can be used as a shorthand reference for the image or "photograph" — primarily for identification. The title of an image may take several forms; for photographers this might be the filename of their original scan or digital camera file"

The basic command would be this, where you would replace "<DIR/File>" with the Directory or Filename you wish to use:
ExifTool "-Title<Filename" <DIR/File>

You could add -overwrite_original to avoid making backups once you were sure that it worked properly and -r to recurse down through all directories.

Hope that helps
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

stonecherub

Worked like a charm, thanks for the help