Only scan files added at a specific time

Started by Tania, March 11, 2014, 06:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tania

Hello!
First off all, thank you for making such a great tool as ExifTool. It's absolutely wonderful.
I have one question however. I have a folder that contains many .jpg files, and every day new files add. I clean older files from time to time, but still there are a lot of them. I scan them all with exiftool to make sure I don't miss files I need (containing specific information in Caption-Abstract tag).
However, it takes A LOT of time to scan all files. So I was wondering if it was somehow possible to only scan files that were added today? Or in last hour? Something similar to find's -mtime option.

Excuse me for asking such a simple question. I am still a newbie, and would certainly appreciate your help

Thanks in advance!

Tania

Excuse me,  I can't seem to see the "edit" option, so I'll add here: I use ubuntu 12.04 so therefore I have exiftool linux version 7.89 [Library version is 8.60]

Phil Harvey

Unfortunately the exiftool -if option first reads the metadata from a file, so you can't use this to prevent scanning older files.

I think that piping through find or something like that is the way to go.  Either that, or change your workflow to move the files out of the incoming directory after they have been processed.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).