News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Writing Keywords to CSV - Not Working

Started by Oskar, April 09, 2014, 03:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oskar

Dear Sir,

I am using the following command to read data from Quicktime .mov files and write it to a CSV text file:

exiftool -csv -r -filename -description -keywords c:\Temp\Movs > c:\Temp\output.txt

The output file contains the source file name, the filename and description, but the keywords are totally missing, there is no column at all for keywords and there are no keywords at all. I tried to spell keywords option with capital K(Keywords), I tried the version -IPTC:keywords but no results at all.

Could you please help me? Many thanks!

P.S: I am on a Win7/64 bit machine.

Oskar

I found it! It is SUBJECT instead of keywords. Now the problem is that when opening the csv file the keywords are each in one cell instead of being all in a single cell, although the keyowrds separator is ";" and the preview(prior to opening the CSV file) looks fine(all keywords are in a single cell). 

Oskar

Finally sort it out. Here is the right command:

exiftool -csv -r -filename -description -subject -sep ";" FOLDER > output.txt

Thank you for the great tool!

Phil Harvey

Hi Oskar,

There is something funny with the software you are using to import the CSV file.  I'm glad the semicolon separator works for you, but ExifTool will quote the keywords list and use a comma-space separator otherwise.  With the quotes around the list, it should import into a single cell.  If it doesn't, then your import software isn't parsing the standard CSV format properly.

For example:

> exiftool -subject=x -subject=y a.jpg
    1 image files updated

> exiftool -subject -filename -csv a.jpg
SourceFile,Subject,FileName
a.jpg,"x, y",a.jpg

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Oskar

Hi, Phil! I am using libreOffice. Perhaps I was doing something wrong during the opening of the csv file because in the opening dialog preview the csv file looked fine. For now I will stay with this workflow but I will try and see what's wrong with the normal way. Thank you for your advice and for your valuable software!!!

Oskar

I found the error I was doing while opening the CSV file: I need to put " in text delimiter field in the opening dialog box. It works like a charm, thank youuuuuuu!

p.s: I installed the Perl version and it is much much faster!

Phil Harvey

What Perl are you using?  I have found that the Cygwin Perl is much faster -- I think that is because of better memory handling in Cygwin.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Oskar