ExifTool "Sent to" in windows?

Started by .ggu, April 14, 2014, 10:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.ggu

Hi,
Apple Mac have a great tool called Automator which allows you to change metadata for multiple files at one click EXAMPLE.

I wonder if it is possible in windows. I tried to create shortcut for exiftool.exe in %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo to use right click and "send to". You can than edit properties of this shortcut and add exiftool parameters in Target field. Unfortunately you can enter only 259 characters in this field.

Is there a way to read metadata from some template file and write them to all files in folder?

Phil Harvey

You can get around command-line-length limitations using the exiftool -@ option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

.ggu

Thanks,
it is ok but:
my arguments file looks like this:

-m
-overwrite_original
-Photoshop:All=
-tagsfromfile @ -iptc:all
-By-line="some string"
-CopyrightNotice="All rights reserved"

I get warning: "Ignored superflous tag name of invalid option: -tagsfromfile @ -iptc:all".

It is important for me to delete photoshop tags but preserve IPTC tags and then add / change a few IPTC tags.
I added this option -tagsfromfile @ -iptc:all because the -Photoshop:All= removes also IPTC tags.

StarGeek

Quote from: .ggu on April 14, 2014, 12:49:33 PM
my arguments file looks like this:

-m
-overwrite_original
-tagsfromfile @ -iptc:all
-By-line="some string"
-CopyrightNotice="All rights reserved"

I get warning: "Ignored superflous tag name of invalid option: -tagsfromfile @ -iptc:all".

I believe you need to separate the tagsfrom file line.  Plus, I don't think quotes are desired in an Argfile.  I know that in one of mine, I have spaces at the end of the line and those are accounted for without having quotes.  So, try this:

-m
-overwrite_original
-tagsfromfile
@
-iptc:all
-By-line=some string
-CopyrightNotice=All rights reserved

Edit: I'm not sure if I'm right about the -TagsfromFile line, as I remember reading a post about this some time back but can't find it.  Regarding quotes, here's the pertinent line from the docs: "Normal shell processing of arguments is not performed, which among other things means that arguments should not be quoted and spaces are treated as any other character. "
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

.ggu

All you're saying is right! (including -TagsfromFile line)
Thank you guys for your help.