Exporting/Importing without a sourcefile

Started by ekhaede, April 16, 2014, 03:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekhaede

I'm having trouble exporting and importing data.

I have one image of which I want to export it's metadata into other images, which might not even be on the same computer.

So I export specific tags from one image into a CSV file using this:
exiftool.exe -charset LATIN -ImageDescription -Make -Model -Artist -Keywords -csv image.jpg > temp.csv

The CSV file looks something like this then
SourceFile,ImageDescription,Make,Model,Artist,Keywords
image.jpg,Some Description,Some other Info,Test,Test Test,"Some Infos with commas, like this"

Now I want to import these CSV tags into other images (one by one)
I tried using:
exiftool.exe -charset LATIN -overwrite_original -f -csv=temp.csv image2.jpg

Well, the problem is, it can't find the SourceFile anymore now.

How can I import Tags from CSV without a sourcefile? I just want it to read the tags from the CSV into an image.
Any other export format would be fine too, doesn't have to be CSV.

How would I go about this?

Phil Harvey

A "*" in the SourceFile column will match any source file name.  This is explained in the application documentation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ekhaede

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 16, 2014, 07:16:55 AM
A "*" in the SourceFile column will match any source file name.  This is explained in the application documentation.

- Phil

I see, but is it possible to export it with a * already as sourcefile?
This operation is part of a batch file, I don't want to need to edit the CSV file for it.

Phil Harvey

No.

It  sounds like you should be using some other format rather than CSV.  Maybe something like this:

> exiftool.exe -tagsfromfile source.jpg -ImageDescription -Make -Model -Artist -Keywords out.mie
> exiftool -tagsfromfile out.mie destination.jpg

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ekhaede

This is a far better approach, it's working wonderfully.

I was under the impression tagsfromfile requires an actual image file as source and target, not just a metadata file.

Thank you.