How to use exiftool on Mac to change...

Started by miki, April 17, 2014, 02:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miki

Hi Phil,
I am new at exiftool and I need your help. I am using Mac and Capture1. Shooting on new fuji xt1. As you know it cant be opened in Capture1 unless, as I found on forums, you change file data and make it for e.g. to x100s file or x-e2 file.
And here is where I get stuck. I dont know how to do this, or use exiftool at all. So I need detail instructions how to make this work :) What to open, where to type, where to have my folder with photos...all of that.
Many thanks in advance and have a nice day,
Miki.

Phil Harvey

Hi Miki,

Here are the steps:

1) Download and install the Mac version of ExifTool.

2) Launch the Terminal app.  (You will find it in Applications/Utilities.)

3) In the Terminal window, type this (but do NOT press RETURN yet):  exiftool -model=X100S

4) In the Terminal window, press SPACE (to give a space after the command you typed).

5) Drag and drop your X-T1 RAF image (or a folder containing RAF images) onto the Terminal window.

6) Make sure the Terminal window is selected, then press RETURN to run the command.

ExifTool will now change the Model name according to the command you typed.  It will create a "_original" file as a back up of each file that it modifies.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).