Main Menu

Lumia 1020 DNG files

Started by vibo, April 21, 2014, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vibo

Hello Phil,

Thanks for making exiftool available! I've used it among other things for renaming images shot on various cameras and devices in a consistent way, such that an alphabetic sort lists the images in the order they were taken. I recently found that raw images from the Nokia 1020 phone generate an error message:

In the example, I've got two files, one hires JPEG, the other the corresponding DNG file:

WP_20140419_14_09_16_Raw.jpg
WP_20140419_14_09_16_Raw__highres.dng

And enter

exiftool "-FileName<CreateDate" -d %Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S%%-c_Lumia.%%e .

Output:

Warning: [minor] Unrecognized MakerNotes - ./WP_20140419_14_09_16_Raw.jpg
Warning: No writable tags set from ./WP_20140419_14_09_16_Raw__highres.dng
    1 directories scanned
    1 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

The JPEG is renamed, the DNG is not.

Exiftool version 9.58 (last version, downloaded today, same problem with earlier version).
If you have the time to look into this, the files can be downloaded from www.bosnes.net/LumiaDNG

Thanks again for making exiftool available!

Best regards,
vibo

Phil Harvey

Hi Vibo,

If no writable tags were set, it is because the DNG file didn't contain a CreateDate tag.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

vibo

Thanks for the speedy reply!
Yes, I can see that now. It does, however, contain a tag called "Date Created":

Date Created                    : 2014:04:12 21:35:23

, but substituting "Date Created" for CreateDate" in the above command produces the same error message. Is there a way to add a CreateDate tag to the same image, with the same contents as "Date Created", in a scriptable way?

Thanks, vibo

Phil Harvey

Quote from: vibo on April 21, 2014, 11:04:57 AM
, but substituting "Date Created" for CreateDate" in the above command produces the same error message.

Which warning message?  And for which file?  I would expect to still see the MakerNote warning, and if you switch to DateCreated you will see the "no writable tags set" warning for the JPEG.  To satisfy both file types you need to set FileName from both CreateDate and DateCreated in the same command.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

vibo

Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the "No writable tags set from Filename.DNG" message. The makernote message was generated by the JPEG file only, and not by the DNG file. The
"Date Created" tag I posted above was generated by typing

exiftool "-xmp:all" Filename.DNG"

I notice you typed the tag name "Date Created" without the space, and also that

exiftool -s Filename.DNG

outputs the tag name with no space:

DateCreated                     : 2014:04:19 14:09:14

Omitting the space solves the problem:

exiftool "-FileName<DateCreated" -d %Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S%%-c_Lumia.%%e .

Works perfectly, no error messages and file renamed as intended. Problem solved, thanks a million!

vibo

vibo

ADDENDUM: When trying to apply the above solution to the DNG files, things turned out to be more complicated. It appears that the file that I've been experimenting with, is the ONLY one of my Lumia 1020 DNG files that have the DateCreated tag. It is also larger than the other files, 43683912 bytes vs  43676300. That's 7612 bytes, which is a lot more space than a single tag would require. I therefore dumped the tags of the file that I've been experimenting with, and one of the smaller files, and compared. A lot of extra tags were present in the larger file. Their names pointed to either Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop Elements being the source of the extra tags. A little experimenting showed that the extra tags were added silently by Adobe Photoshop Elements just by opening the file, and replying "no" to the save prompt when exiting the program.

I also found that the unaltered files had a tag called "DateTimeOriginal", which could be used for renaming the files. So what I ended up with was:

exiftool "-FileName<DateTimeOriginal" -d %Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S%%-c_Lumia.%%e .

This renamed the files as intended, and did not modify the contents.

vibo