News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Newbie needs assistance with reading supplemental categories

Started by cdubea, April 29, 2014, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdubea

Is there a quick and dirty means to get a list of supplemental categories from a folder of images?

Thanks

Chris
Chris

Phil Harvey

Hi Chris,

exiftool -supplementalcategories "folder name"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cdubea

Cool beans.  Used it with the -r parameter to get a list of all my supplemental catagories.

Thanks Phil!
Chris

cdubea

I'm still fighting this beast.

I'm trying to get some dot delimited supplementalcategories recognized by LightRoom as hierarchical keywords.

A kind soul on the LightRoom forum suggest running this:

exiftool -r '-xmp-dc:subject+<iptc:supplementalcategories' "D:\Pictures\Folders"

Unfortunately it tells me "The system cannot find the file specified"

Help?

Thanks

Chris
Chris

Phil Harvey

Hi Chris,

You need to us double quotes ("), not single quotes (') around arguments in Windows.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cdubea

LOL! That's kinda embarrassing.

It's running now!

Thanks again.

Oh, I sent you a little bit of appreciation on Paypal.

cheers

chris
Chris

Phil Harvey

Quote from: cdubea on July 27, 2014, 10:08:06 AM
It's running now!

Great!

QuoteOh, I sent you a little bit of appreciation on Paypal.

Thank you very much!!

- Phil