Main Menu

IPTC or XMP?

Started by Dare, May 06, 2014, 06:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dare

Hi Phil,
Recently I've read about metadata for jpg files. What is the best way using exiftool to add a title, description, keywords and also label image as copyrighted? IPTC and XMP have different names for the same thing (Object Name=Title, Caption =Description and Keywords=Subject). Is it better to use both IPTC and XMP or just one, and what is best for SEO?

Phil Harvey

I don't know much about SEO, but IPTC is becoming obsolete, so I would recommend using XMP.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Dare

Thank you for your prompt response. I've read that XMP is trademark of Adobe, but that is also ISO standard. I do not know much about this area. Can XMP be added to file with open source tool like exiftool without affecting this trademark?

Phil Harvey

It wouldn't be much use if you couldn't embed XMP freely in any document.  But you should refer to the Adobe XMP web site if you have any concerns about this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).