convert iPhoto title to Picasa caption

Started by jlocicero, May 20, 2014, 10:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlocicero

How can I copy iPhoto titles to Picasa captions? I have found many examples of the opposite, such as this one: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=4663.msg22253#msg22253

I want to go the other direction, from iPhoto to Picasa. I have no scripting skills. Can anyone please help?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

To go the other direction from this:

exiftool "-iptc:caption-abstract<xmp:description" some.jpg

you do this:

exiftool "-xmp:description<iptc:caption-abstract" some.jpg

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jlocicero

Thank you for your response, Phil! That helped me with the syntax, but it didn't work until I found out where iPhoto writes titles using exiftool -a -G -s image.jpg.

So the command I ended up using was:

exiftool "-iptc:caption-abstract<xmp:title" some.jpg

This works just fine for pictures. I hoped it would also work for movies, but no luck. I can't even find out where iPhoto writes the titles of movies. (exiftool -a -G -s movie.mp4 didn't work.)

Any ideas where iPhoto stores movie titles?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

No idea, but unless it is in XMP then you will be out of luck, because (except for some date/time tags) ExifTool only writes XMP to MP4 videos.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jlocicero

I think I'm out of luck, then. But I'm still farther along than I was. Thanks again!