Main Menu

Need some assistance

Started by Duker, July 04, 2014, 12:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duker

I have a case where I am trying to figure out what time some pictures were taken.   I do not know the date/time settings that the camera was actually set to at the time the pictures were taken so I know without this knowledge it is a moot point trying to figure it out.   

I need some help figuring out the difference between the File Modification Date and the Original Date.   

File Modification Date/Time     : 2006:05:23 17:20:10-04:00
Date/Time Original              : 2006:05:23 18:20:11
Create Date                     : 2006:05:23 18:20:11

Does this mean that the pic was taken at 18:20?   Or 17:20?   Does this give me any indication as to the time zone the camera was set to?

Cheers

Phil Harvey

The FileModifyDate is the date/time you see when you get a directory listing of the file.  It isn't metadata in the file itself.  So DateTimeOriginal is what you want.  Add the -G1 option to see where the information is stored.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Duker

Alan Clifford

You'll need other clues to work out the timezone.  At 18:20, was it dark?  Should it be dark in the timezone where the pictures were taken?  Or maybe there is a church tower with a clock in one of the photos.