Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge

Started by tpalmer0127, July 15, 2014, 09:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpalmer0127

I'm making some progress with ExifTool but I'm a little lost on where some of the data that can be added is stored and what it is called.  For example, in Lightroom and in Bridge, it's possible to add Location information State, City, Sub-Location and other information such as Title.

If I import into Photoshop from Lightroom and then look at the .PSD file, I can see for example:
  -xmp-photoshop:city
  -xmp:city
  -xmp:state
  -iptc:city

If I add any metadata in Bridge, Bridge creates an associated .XMP file and I can see in that .XMP file for example:
  -xmp:title

However, if I simply work in Lightroom adding the metadata information (ex: city, state, title) I'm unable to see the information in the RAW (in my case Sony ARW) file.  As I understand Bridge and LR, they don't modify the RAW file (Bridge uses the .XMP file).

Where do I look to find the metadata that I "added" to the RAW file in Lightroom ?

Also, is there any cross-reference between the field titles that are used in Bridge and Lightroom and the tags that are used to store them ?  So far, I've only found a few of the tag locations.

Finally, I haven't tried to find these yet, but what about Keywords added in Lightroom and Bridge ?

Thanks,
Terry

Hayo Baan

Hi Terry,

By default, Lightroom keeps all your edits and metadata inside its own database, not visible for other applications. There are two ways to get your metadata visible in other applications:

• manual: right click on an image or images  and select export metadata from the metadata fly out menu.
  • automatic: in the preferences of the catalogue (!), on the metadata tab, enable the automatic write of the metadata to the XMP file. Note that some people have reported a slight performance decrease when this is enabled.

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

tpalmer0127

Hayo,

Thanks for the information.  That's the perfect solution.

Terry