corrupted files? Suspicious IFD0 offset for Make

Started by asherah, July 21, 2014, 05:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asherah

Hi!

First thanks for this great program. Unfortunately I am lost with the following problem:

For an unknown reason lots of my pictures have problems with the EXIF date. Tools like ExifViewer show the correct date but apps like Caroussel or Amazon Photo show no date or the wrong date so that I do have a timeline with wrong or no dates. I tried to heal this with the comment

exiftool -P -alldates'<filename' ~/Dropbox/'Photos from iPhoto'/*

Unfortunately this does not help and I get lots of errors like

Warning: Suspicious IFD0 offset for Make - /Users/xxx/xxx.jpg
Warning: Suspicious IFD0 offset for Make - Make - /Users/xxx/xxx.jpg
Error: Bad format (0) for IFD0 entry 8 - Make - /Users/xxx/xxx.jpg

(xxx to shorten this).

For these files I still have the same problem. Is there any way to correct this error? Unfortunately I am not able to find it after searching the forum for "offset"

Thank you very much!

Phil Harvey

You need to repair the corrupted EXIF before ExifTool will write files with an error like this.  See FAQ 20 for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

asherah

Phil, thank you very much for your quick response.

I used (as I had maker errors to)

exiftool -exif:all= -tagsfromfile @ -exif:all -unsafe -thumbnailimage -F ~/Dropbox/'Fotos'/*

and then

exiftool -P -alldates'<filename' ~/Dropbox/'Fotos'/*

Unfortunately the files still do not have the correct exif dates in Dropbox and Amazon but dates from December 1970 or 2007. 2007 is a least the correct year ... ExifViewer shows the correct dates:

Image Created:   2007:30:06 20:07:16

Would you be so kind to help me again?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

AllDates is a shortcut for DateTimeOriginal, CreateDate and ModifyDate, but you can write any date/time tags you want by adding them to the command.  I don't know what date/time information dropbox uses.  Perhaps the filesystem date/time (FileModifyDate)?  Use exiftool -time:all FILE to see all available date/time information for a FILE.

Also, for your command to work the file names must have YYYY, MM, DD, hh, mm, ss in that order in them.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).