Pls consider using 'dash' instead of "." in install zip

Started by l_d_allan, August 09, 2014, 11:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

Thanks for developing and especially for maintaining and supporting ExifTool over the years.

Sorry if this has been suggested, discussed, and rejected in the past.

I would suggest you consider:

• your file naming convention to use a 'dash' instead of a 'period' for major/minor
  • some older utilities may have problems with filenames with dot in the middle
  • date-stamp might also be something to consider
  • I think there are advantages to distributing an .exe instead of a .zip for Windows. The .exe is barely any larger that a .zip. It makes the OOB (out of box) experience a bit better. I used NSIS for freeware projects, and it can generate .exe's.
  • IIRC, it helps some older Windows o/s to have the word "setup" or "install" in the filename

So instead of exiftool-9.69.zip
it might be something like
exiftool-9-69_140727_setup.exe

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll think about this, but it would have to be a very clear benefit for me to change this, because it would change the upgrade procedure (and hence could be an inconvenience) for all existing ExifTool users.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).