All I get is GPS version ID

Started by drosen, August 06, 2014, 10:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drosen

Hi,
I am trying to see all the Metadata associated with a MOV file using MAC OSx version of Exiftool.
i have a movie file made with a Canon Powershot sx170 is
The command I am using is exiftool -a -gps:all /test_exif/TEST.MOV
I get:
GPS Version ID : 2.3.0.0

It seems to be finding the file, if I spell the file name incorrect, I get an error message.
Maybe I am using the wrong command ?
I hope it wasn't something really dumb I missed in the documentation.
Is there a GUI interface in the Windows version ?

Thank you,
David (drosen)

Hayo Baan

Mov files do not support all metadata. If you added gps data using another tool you may have an accompanying .xmp file so if you try that with exiftool, you'll likely get the info you're after.

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

StarGeek

Quote from: drosen on August 06, 2014, 10:24:46 AMI am trying to see all the Metadata associated with a MOV file
The command I am using is exiftool -a -gps:all /test_exif/TEST.MOV

Your command is asking for only the GPS data, nothing else.  Instead, try using
exiftool -a  /test_exif/TEST.MOV

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

drosen

Hi All,
Thank you all very much. Haye's answer solved my problem and that gave me lot's of information. This program is great; a lot to learn. Now I have to figure out how to use this info. I have been taking photos of very odd things in the New York City Area and I am trying to establish a couple of things from this information:
Thank you very much for taking your time to answer my question. Thank you to all that answered.
Here is a an open question to all:
Anything to support that I have not doctored some  images.
It looks to me like I could change exif data, Is there a way to  establish that I have not ? (my guess is NO, ; that anything can be changed on the computer.)
Most of the items photographed are in the sky and I am trying to figure out how to use exif information to determine range. Probably  something with focal distance and hyperfocal distance. ? I noticed that hyperfocal is on JPG but not MOV files. 
The video  I am trying to establish of how far away the subject was,  is displayed on the upper right home page of my website. www.cloudofIron.com. There are also some zoomed photos on the home page that I am trying to determine how far away they are.
If anyone knows how to approximate distance from the information in exif files and feels like sharing it, please let me know.

Thank you again,
- David
Thank you,
David (drosen)

Phil Harvey

Hi David,

There is no way to guarantee that the metadata has not been modified.

You can calculate the distance to an object in an image if you know the actual size of the object and the camera's field of view (the focal length and the sensor size).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).