.CR2 File format error

Started by LoupGarou, October 18, 2014, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoupGarou

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I was cleaning my hard drive and by a terrible mistake I deleted a lot of .CR2 files (323 to be exact  :'(). I'm a graphic designer and now i need to work with those files.

I managed to recover all of them with TuneUp (which said all file were OK and recoverables, because they had not been overwritten yet). The case is that I cant open them with Photoshop or any other software.

So I downloaded ExifTool and since I'm really a newbie, I only managed to extract some info of the files. For example:

ExifTool Version Number         : 9.74
File Name                       : IMG_0715
Directory                       : D:/
File Size                       : 23 MB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2013:07:02 21:34:44-03:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2014:10:15 20:44:26-03:00
File Creation Date/Time        : 2014:10:15 20:44:26-03:00
File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
Error                           : File format error

¿Do you think is possible to fix this files o even extract a JPG preview?

Here's one of the files, in case you want to check it

http://www.mediafire.com/download/obu6mj2o60el6go/IMG_0715.rar

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Hayo Baan

Hello LoupGarou,

I've had a quick look at your file and I'm sorry to say I can't help you recover it :(
Though the file is not empty, it seemed to consist of purely random data. I could not even find the start bytes (e.g., a combination of the characters II* followed by CR) of what would indicate that there was a CR2 file somewhere in the data. I'm not sure what the recovery software retrieved, but it doesn't seem to be the file you were after.

I sure hope you have a backup somewhere, because I'm afraid the files are lost  >:(

Sorry,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

LoupGarou

Thank you mates for taking the time to check the files. Sadly I don't have a backup, but now I know the files are definitely broken and I might be able to take the pictures again.

Thanks!