Convert NEF-files created by a Nikon D750 into JPG or TIF

Started by Pol, November 12, 2014, 09:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pol

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have choosen the RAW-Format on my brand new Nikon D750 for my first model-Shooting.
At home, I did transfer the NEF-files from the D750 to my desktop using Nikon Transfer 1.1.

From here on, I am unable to use the files on Lightroom, on the new Nikon ViewNX2 (Version 2.10.2) or Nikon Picture Control Utility 2.
I did ask for help at Nikon Help Desk and I have been told, that the reason why the files are no longer usable is, that Nikon Transfer 1.1 was not made for the transfer of the files to my PC and that the files are now corrupted.
Than, they asked me to post my problem to this forum asking for help, as you would have a tool able to repair the files for most of the Nikon cameras and that I should ask for assistance on the conversion of my corrupted D750 NEF-files.

Could you please assist?

Regards,

Paul

Phil Harvey

Hi Paul,

The fix_corrupted_nef utility currently doesn't support D750 images.  To add support, I need a full set of sample images.  Shoot a set of images at each available compression setting (compressed, lossless compressed, uncompressed), at each bit depth (12 and 14 bit), then transfer these images by copying directly from the card and with Nikon Transfer 1.1, and send me all of the images (philharvey66 at gmail.com).  If your camera has 3 compression settings and 2 bit depth settings, then you will be sending me a total of 12 images.  If you do this, I will add support for the D750.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Quote from: Phil Harvey on November 12, 2014, 10:15:10 AM
The fix_corrupted_nef utility currently doesn't support D750 images.  To add support, I need a full set of sample images.  Shoot a set of images at each available compression setting (compressed, lossless compressed, uncompressed), at each bit depth (12 and 14 bit), then transfer these images by copying directly from the card and with Nikon Transfer 1.1, and send me all of the images (philharvey66 at gmail.com).  If your camera has 3 compression settings and 2 bit depth settings, then you will be sending me a total of 12 images.  If you do this, I will add support for the D750.

Hi Paul,

The D750 also supports crop modes (1.2x and DX), please include all variant for these as well :)
Note: I suggest you take these test shots with the lens cap on the lens and the camera in manual mode with a shutter speed of around 1/250. This will give pure black images which compress quite nicely if you zip all the files up.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Pol

Hi Phil,

I have now created the following Images in the manual mode at a 250 of a second with the cap on the lens:

Uncompressed 14 bit in FX-format
Uncompressed 12 bit in FX-format
Compressed 14 bit in FX-format
Compressed 12 bit in FX-format

Uncompressed 14 bit in DX-format
Uncompressed 12 bit in DX-format
Compressed 14 bit in DX-format
Compressed 12 bit in DX-format

Uncompressed 14 bit in 1.2 crop-format
Uncompressed 12 bit in 1.2 crop-format
Compressed 14 bit in 1.2 crop-format
Compressed 12 bit in 1.2 crop-format

The pictures have been transfered to my desktop using Nikon Transfer 1.1.
That's 162MB in total.
Could you please tell me, how to transfer them the best to you?
I there a way I can upload them to the Form or send them by E-Mail?
Do I have to send them 1 by 1?

Regards,

Paul

Phil Harvey

Hi Paul,

I also need the uncorrupted versions copied directly from the memory card without using Nikon Transfer.

If you took Hayo's suggestion, then the files shouldn't be too large if you zip them up.

You can mail as many as you want in one mail.  I can take very large mails.  Or you could upload them to any file hosting service if that is more convenient for you.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Pol

Hi Phil,

I have now found 2 other solutions for my problem on my own.

1. With the new Version ViewNX2 I was not able to export in JPG, however when I used the function "send to E-Mail" ViewNX2 did convert the NEFs to JPG. Strange, but I did work.
2. I did uninstall ViewNX2 and reinstall the old Nikon Transfer 1.1. In a second step I could convert the NEFs into JPG and TIF.

I am fine for my side now and I do not need further assistance. However, I would like to Thank you for your Support.

If you still want me to provide you with the sample files, just let me know and I will do so.

Regards,

Paul

Phil Harvey

Hi Paul,

It would be nice to have the samples because your solution doesn't recover the original raw image and I'm sure that someone will eventually want to do this for the D750.

Thanks.

- Phil

Pol

Hi Phil,

I just send you an E-Mail with the link to 2 separated Dropbox drives.

One containing the files directely via Explorer out form the SD-Card.
The other one transfered to my Desktop using Nikon Transfer 1.1.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards,

Paul

Phil Harvey

Hi Paul,

Wonderful, thanks!  I got the images and will add support for the D750 and release a new version of fix_corrupted_nef soon.

- Phil

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Pol on November 13, 2014, 10:24:23 AM

1. With the new Version ViewNX2 I was not able to export in JPG, however when I used the function "send to E-Mail" ViewNX2 did convert the NEFs to JPG. Strange, but I did work.

Nikon raw files contain a large jpeg so it is possible that Viewnx2 used that to create the file for email rather than converting the raw file.