exiftool not "staying open" when problem files encountered.

Started by areohbee, November 16, 2014, 10:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

areohbee

I have some files that exiftool does not like.

For example, a tiff which elicits an error message when attempting to do anything with it:

Invalid type '-' at Image/ExifTool.pm line 3791.

I guess the file is wonky, but the problem is that exiftool (when encountering one of these problem files) is aborting with an exit code of 255 when using stay-open mode, which is causing problems for me.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Rob

Phil Harvey

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the report.

If you send any sample that causes a problem to me (philharvey66 at gmail.com), I'll fix it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Rob,

I got the file, thanks.

Wow.  This particular problem only affects Canon EOS 40D images that were corrupted in a very specific way.  Way to trigger this extreme fringe vulnerability.  It will be fixed in ExifTool 9.77.

- Phil

Edit:  Looking closer at this image, the culprit software that caused this problem appears to be Nikon Capture NX.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Quote from: Phil Harvey on November 17, 2014, 07:21:02 AM
Edit:  Looking closer at this image, the culprit software that caused this problem appears to be Nikon Capture NX.

Oh, what a surprise ;)
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl