News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Read GPS information

Started by Eriksson, November 26, 2014, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eriksson

Is it sufficient to parse GPS information from Composite:GPSPosition or should I parse GPS coordinates from GPS:GPSLatitude, GPS:GPSLatitudeRef, GPS:GPSLongitude and GPS:GPSLongitudeRef?

Are there benefits of using the Composite tags or can I miss any GPS information this way?

Phil Harvey

This Composite tag will only be available if both GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude are both available.  But if you don't care about the case where one coordinate is missing, then using GPSPosition is probably fine.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Eriksson

Thanks.

Can I disregard Composite:GPS*Ref if I use the Composite tags GPSLongitude and GPSLatitude or do I have to factor them in?

I use -n -c %.8f as arguments and I want to be sure that I get correct negative coordinates.

Phil Harvey

The Composite:GPS*Ref tags are used only for converting from XMP to EXIF.  The Composite:GPSLatitude/Longitude tags account for the reference direction. (And Composite:GPSPosition will be based on these if they are available.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Eriksson

Thanks Phil, that is very helpful.