Struggling with rather simple rename and sorting operation

Started by 0mega42, January 01, 2015, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0mega42

Hi!

I'm trying to solve a rather simple problem - I guess - at least for someone familiar with ExifTool.

I have about 30.000 images, raw and jpg and also movs. Some have proper tags, others don't. Basically I want everything to be sorted into a folder structure by date and also renamed by date. Like this:

/.../2014/12/01/20141201_0001.JPG (first image of that day)
/.../2014/12/01/raw/20141201_0001.ORF (matching raw file if available)
/.../2014/12/01/mov/20141201_0001.MOV (first mov file of that day - matching numbering with images would be a plus)

I tried some commands, but due to the fact some tags aren't properly set in some files, my library gets all messed up. I read that there are scripts for fallbacks, but I'm not able to combine this with all the folder sorting. Any help is much appreciated!

Phil Harvey

Matching the raw filename to the jpg would be very difficult.  I can't think of a way to accomplish this.  A command like this would do just the JPG images:

exiftool -d %Y/%m/%d/%Y%m%d_%.4nc.JPG -ext jpg "-filename<filemodifydate" "-filename<createdate" "-filename<datetimeoriginal" DIR

where DIR is the name of the source directory.

Here the DateTimeOriginal will be used to move/rename the file, failing that, CreateDate, then finally FileModifyDate (which is always available).

Similar commands may be used for the raw images and movie files, by changing the JPG/jpg and the directory in the date/time format string.

Be sure to try this out on some test files before unleashing it on your collection.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).