My photo screensaver is using ExifTool

Started by marijn, February 12, 2015, 11:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marijn

Hi Phil,

I'd like to thank you for your excellent ExifTool! I've used it in my open source Random Photo Screensaver to show metadata from photos and provide automatic image rotation. I've included a link to your site from the credits of the screensaver.

Would love it if you could include a link to my creation from your list of Related Utilities. And/or even better for you to try out RPS and let me know your feedback!

Happy screensaving,

Marijn.

Phil Harvey

Hi Marijn,

Thanks for the note.  The link has been added.

- Phil

Edit:  In your documentation you mention using "exiftool(-k).exe".  I would definitely recommend renaming to "exiftool.exe" when calling from another application.  The "(-k)" will cause exiftool to pause and wait for keyboard input.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

marijn

Thanks for the link Phil.

I'm using the -stay_open parameter in a wrapper for ExifTool which speeds up processing considerably. As the -k options didn't seem to effect it when I first tested it I left it in to make it easier for users to upgrade their version of ExifTool without having to rename things. I'll see whether renaming the exiftool.exe makes any difference.

https://github.com/marijnkampf/Random-Photo-Screensaver/blob/master/RPS%204/ExifToolWrapper.cs

Marijn

Phil Harvey

It may make a difference when you try to close the connection when using -stay_open.  I've never tried this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).