compressing .tiff files

Started by elliotnewmam, February 08, 2015, 11:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliotnewmam

I have been generating some large .tiff files from .dng files using dcraw, I then run an exiftool command to copy some tags from the original .dng file because they don't get passed through the dcraw process. However the .tiff files that both dcraw and exiftool generate are uncompressed and at ~90mb each.

Is there a flag that can be added to my command that allows the .tiff to get some form of .tiff compression?

exiftool -tagsfromfile {0} '-ExifIFD:ExposureTime<ExifIFD:ExposureTime' '-ExifIFD:ShutterSpeedValue<ExifIFD:ShutterSpeedValue' '-ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal<ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal' '-ExifIFD:CreateDate<ExifIFD:CreateDate' '-ExifIFD:ColorMatrix1<IFD0:ColorMatrix1' '-ExifIFD:ColorMatrix2<IFD0:ColorMatrix2' '-ExifIFD:AnalogBalance<IFD0:AnalogBalance' '-ExifIFD:CameraCalibration1<IFD0:CameraCalibration1' '-ExifIFD:CameraCalibration2<IFD0:CameraCalibration2' '-ExifIFD:AsShotNeutral<IFD0:AsShotNeutral' '-ExifIFD:CalibrationIlluminant1<IFD0:CalibrationIlluminant1' '-ExifIFD:CalibrationIlluminant2<IFD0:CalibrationIlluminant2' '-ExifIFD:ForwardMatrix1<IFD0:ForwardMatrix1' '-ExifIFD:ForwardMatrix2<IFD0:ForwardMatrix2' '-ExifIFD:BaselineExposure<IFD0:BaselineExposure' {1}

StarGeek

Exiftool only deals with metadata.  It cannot process the actual image data.

You might look into ImageMagick for a command line program that will compress the tiffs.  Check out the convert command with the  -compress lzw option.

Edit: You'll probably want any ImageMagick command before the ExitTool command because I don't believe that ImageMagick will copy the metadata.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

elliotnewmam

Many thanks for the info. I think I will just use rvio to convert to .exr, but good to know that ImageMagick can compress on the command line.