News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

RAW+JPG pairs with sidecars

Started by mceachen, March 26, 2020, 08:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mceachen

Say I have 3 files in a directory: IMG.NEF, IMG.JPG, and IMG.XMP.

If the XMP asserts, for example, <tiff:Orientation>1</tiff:Orientation>, should that be applied to both the NEF and JPG?

Is there a naming convention to allow the sidecar to only be applied to one of the files, perhaps by calling the sidecar IMG.NEF.XMP so it only applies to the NEF?

Metadata & sidecar ninjas, what do you think?

Thanks!

StarGeek

I would think that would be up to the software that will be reading the sidecar file.  It's quite possible that you would different results with different software, because, AFAIK, there's no standard dictating what files the sidecar file should apply to.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

obetz

Quote from: mceachen on March 26, 2020, 08:07:06 PM
Say I have 3 files in a directory: IMG.NEF, IMG.JPG, and IMG.XMP.

If the XMP asserts, for example, <tiff:Orientation>1</tiff:Orientation>, should that be applied to both the NEF and JPG?

Is there a naming convention to allow the sidecar to only be applied to one of the files, perhaps by calling the sidecar IMG.NEF.XMP so it only applies to the NEF?

I suggest to use unambiguous naming, IOW avoid residing IMG.NEF and IMG.JPG in the same folder together with IMG.XMP.

Either use a subfolder for the jpg files or some other naming scheme like IMG_x.jpg.

Oliver

mceachen

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like there's some prior art that uses the $fullname.XMP (like IMG.NEF.XMP).

I'm going with the unambiguous name for writes (unless the shorter sidecar exists), and reading from both the ambiguous and unambiguous sidecars (where ties are won by the unambiguous sidecar).

Thanks again.