Main Menu

Channels

Started by cwboomer, March 19, 2015, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwboomer

Is there a way to query a TIFF document and gather the names of the channels that are in an RGB document, that contains multiple additional channels. I have, for example, a document that has RGB, and 3-5 additional channels, and I want to query it with exiftools and poll the names of those other channels. I may have set them up with other names, over the course of time.

Phil Harvey

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about.  The TIFF ComponentsConfiguration specifies the Y, Cb, Cr, R, G and B channels.  ExifTool extracts this, and any other standard information that exists (and converts them to more readable strings).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cwboomer

thank you for replying so quickly.
In looking up the values, with -list on a file I put together, it showed up under "Alpha Channels Names". Is that an event that can be queried separately to get the filename and these results?

And just so I actually know, are these known as "TIFF Tag ExtraSamples", or is that incorrect?

IFD      Image
Code      338 (hex 0x0152)
Name      ExtraSamples
LibTiff name      TIFFTAG_EXTRASAMPLES
Type      SHORT
Count      N
Default      None

Phil Harvey

AlphaChannelsNames is is a Photoshop tag, not a TIFF tag.  I don't know if this is related to the TIFF ExtraSamples tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cwboomer

Thank you so much. I have learned more in the past few months working with exiftool, than I have in a cumulative few years in working with photoshop. The tool has also boosted me into the unix arena.

I am going to come back for more help soon. This is simply amazing that you have put this together.