Trying to install exiftool via Macports.. command not found

Started by gsulshski, March 25, 2015, 07:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsulshski

I thought that I would use Macports to install exiftool since I do this for many of the other apps (mythtv, etc)

I recognize that I am not following the installation directions.

Here is what I thought would work .. from http://moririn-web.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-manipulate-exif-information-on.html

How to Manipulate EXIF information on MacOSX.

How can we manipulate EXIF information on MacOSX? I think it is the easiest way to use exiftool, that is provided by Mac ports.

At first, we have to install exiftool by using Mac ports.
sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade outdated
sudo port install p5-image-exiftool

Then check the EXIF information as below:
exiftool <JPEG_FILE>

The port was loaded but when I execute exiftool ... I get command not found

I have opened another terminal window.. I have the same ..command not found

I see a exiftool directory buried installed via spotlight
My path is export PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/lib/mariadb/bin:$PATH"   but i don't think exiftool is in my path ?

Phil Harvey

I think this is a MacPorts problem.  Exactly where did it install exiftool?  I'm not sure how MacPorts works, but one would think that it should add the directory of the binary to your path if necessary.  Also, what version did it install?  Sometimes other packages like this are years behind the current ExifTool version, and for this reason alone it is better to download it from the ExifTool home page.  I would actually recommend the standard Perl/Unix installation on Mac.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gsulshski

Macports...

from a Portfile .. I think it is Version is 9.90

# $Id: Portfile 133883 2015-03-14 18:55:08Z devans@macports.org $

PortSystem          1.0
PortGroup           perl5 1.0

perl5.branches      5.16 5.18 5.20
perl5.setup         Image-ExifTool 9.90
license             {Artistic-1 GPL}
maintainers         nomaintainer
platforms           darwin
supported_archs     noarch

description         Perl interface to read, write and edit EXIF metadata
long_description    ${description}

checksums           rmd160  54de06c658ef5c57f9f14d7c452ef85980e8c9ac \
                    sha256  64f602773cd2051fd3ab614464f4b39492383ba2742263cddbb4df27855b7089

homepage            http://www.exiftool.org/
master_sites        ${homepage}

livecheck.type      regex
livecheck.url       ${homepage}
livecheck.regex     Image-ExifTool-(\[0-9.\]+)${extract.suffix}

I suspect your are right in that is probably  user error or Macports error...I can't find the binary anywhere and it doesn't appear to be in my path.. 

I was hoping that I could use Macports path could pickup the latest versions along with the other advantages (such as maintenance).

If I can't figure it out or someone can point out my user error,  I will follow your advice and install MAC/Unix install procedure.

gsulshski

I am not sure why but the name of the binary for Macports is  exiftool-5.16  in /opt/local/bin

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  36 Mar 14 14:04 exiftool-5.16 -> /opt/local/libexec/perl5.16/exiftool

exiftool-5.16 -ver

Phil Harvey

I'm glad they have the latest version.  It looks like maybe you should add /opt/local/libexec/perl5.16 to your path.  I'm not sure why this wouldn't be automatic.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).