How can I create a "custom" EXIF Metadata list?

Started by djjc, April 03, 2015, 10:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djjc

I am a photo enthusiast that often wants to see the exif data from my digital files. My most often used "viewer/browser" is Photo Mechanic, an app that usually gives me all the metadata info I need. However, I recently acquired a Fuji X camera and it has  a few metadata parameters that is not captured by Photo Mechanic.

Recently I saw a reference to ExifTool and I tried out an app called GraphicConverter 9 that utilizes ExifTool. However, when I look at an image file's metadata there is way too much info that I do not need to see and it takes several secs to try and locate the data I want to know.

I recently tried the Apple Script "List Exif Metadata (list).app and it looks great except again I would like to see only "selected metadata".

Is there a way to edit this script so that I can create a custom metadata list of only the parameters I want to see?

PS: Despite being an Apple user for 25+ years I have never used Apple Script but would give it try if some could tell me how I can sleet only the metadata fields I want in a list.

Don J J C 

Phil Harvey

Hi Don,

Absolutely.  Open the script with the Script Editor, and change the exiftool command to add all the tags you want to see (eg. add -datetimeoriginal -artist -title to see these tags).

Use exiftool -s FILE on the file to get a complete list of tag names available in the file.  (Where FILE is the name of your file.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

djjc

Phil, wow, thanks for the very quick response.

OK, I'll give it a try. I have never used Apple Script nor any other script before so I will work on a copy of your "List Exif Metada (list).app .

Don

djjc

Phil, when I open the "List Exif Metadata (list).app  (a copy of the original) here is what I see:

on open the_files
   set exiftool_path to "/usr/bin/"
   set exiftool_args to "-g1 -S"
   repeat with the_file in the_files
      set exiftool_args to exiftool_args & " " & quote & POSIX path of the_file & quote
   end repeat
   set the_md to do shell script exiftool_path & "exiftool " & exiftool_args
   set textList to {}
   set tid to AppleScript's text item delimiters
   set AppleScript's text item delimiters to (return)
   set textList to text items of the_md
   set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tid
   choose from list textList with title "List Exif Metadata" with prompt "ExifTool Metadata:" OK button name "OK" cancel button name "Cancel" with multiple selections allowed and empty selection allowed
end open

on run
   set chosen_file to choose file with multiple selections allowed
   open chosen_file
end run

Phil, I'm not sure where to add the items I only want.

Can you show me what lines to change or add?

Don

Phil Harvey

Hi Don

Change this:

set exiftool_args to "-g1 -S"

to something like this:

set exiftool_args to "-g1 -S -datetimeoriginal -artist -title"

(of course, using the tags you want to display instead of these)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

djjc

Hi again Phil and by the way "Happy Easter".

Just wanted to thank you again for getting back to my queries and advising how to obtain the results I desired, your instructions worked flawlessly.  Also a big huge thanks for posting those Metadata List apps.

As a thank-you I went over to your PayPal link and made a small contribution.

Don J J Carroll
Fredericton, N. B.

Phil Harvey

Hi Don,

Happy Easter to you too!  And thanks for the donation!!

- Phil