Main Menu

Extract thumbnail

Started by surbhi, April 21, 2015, 08:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surbhi

I want to extract thumbnail from an image named 1.JPG which is in a folder 'pics' at location C:\Users\sur\Desktop\pics\.

Now I am in folder pics, and trying to extract the thumbnail of 1.JPG, but a windows open with written "File not found: 1.JPG" and close fast. And an image with 0 bytes appears in my folder pics with name thumnail.jpg...

The command looks like this, in my cmd:

C:\Users\sur\Desktop\pics>exiftool -b -ThumbnailImage 1.JPG > thumbnail.jpg

The image 1.JPG has a thumbnail, which I confirmed by viewing exifdata of the image on a website http://regex.info/exif.cgi.

What am I doing wrong?

Phil Harvey

This sounds just like your other problem.  You need to open the cmd.exe window first, then type the exiftool command there.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

surbhi

Yes, thats what I am doing. I have cmd open, and then In cmd I am in folder pics and writing the command exiftool -b -ThumbnailImage 1.JPG > thumbnail.jpg there...

surbhi

Attached a screenshot of what I am doing:

Phil Harvey

No "file not found" message.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

surbhi

Yes, its not in screenshot, because when I write command "exiftool -b -ThumbnailImage 1.JPG > thumbnail.jpg", and press enter, a new cmd window opens on which its written that file not found:1 JPG. That window close very fast itself, so I am not able to take a screenshot of that.

Phil Harvey

I don't understand that.  It should not open another window.  Did you ever solve you other problem?  It is the same problem with this command.

How did you launch cmd.exe?

See this thread for some help.

- Phil

surbhi

Thank, now it works :) The problems was that I changed the compatibility of exiftool.exe and changed the setting to run it as administrator, by looking at some solutions on the forum. But now I changed it back, and it works now :)

surbhi

Just wanted to say thanks for making such a nice tool Phil, and also for providing great support. Many thanks  :)