Exif data in photo from Twitter and Instagram

Started by sheroazure1, May 23, 2015, 10:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheroazure1

Dear Sir,

As we know that Twitter and Instagram, always try to give comfort for their user including about personal privacy that is why they erased the EXIF data from pictures that Users upload. My question is; is it posible to get the EXIF data back from the photo? is there any way to do that? can anybody here discuss about this? thank you

NOTE that my question is for digital forensic educational purpose ONLY, not to missuse or criminal usage.

StarGeek

From the image you would download from those sites?  No, it's gone.

But, from what I understand, those sites do keep the metadata that they strip in case of legal proceedings, such as law enforcement serving up a subpena.  I don't have any link to back that up atm, it's just something I remember reading at some point, so take it as you would.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

sheroazure1

i can conclude that ..it is imposible to trace metadata from those photos..unless we can get acces to the server that the store the data...needs a lot of effort I guess hahaha

Alan Clifford

Could you ask the person who owns the photograph to send you a copy that includes the meta data?

sheroazure1

yes I can...but not all of people are please with that...:D