How to integrate sidecar xmp?

Started by Marsu42, July 08, 2015, 07:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

I've got an app that writes metadata out as a sidecar .xmp file, and I'd like to join these into the respective (in my case) .dng files next to them.  Is there a way to (batch)-write all the information from the sidecar? Sorry if I mis-rtfm'ed :-o ...

For reference, an example sidecar .xmp file looks like this:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">
    <xmp:Rating>3</xmp:Rating>
  </rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

Marsu42

Harrrgnn, there is a strong tendency to solve things myself just after posting 'em (to a forum where I cannot delete the topic) .. amazingly, exiftool treats a xmp file just like an image, so I can do "exiftool -overwrite_original -TagsFromFile image.xmp image.dng".

Phil Harvey

Great, glad you figured this out.

For much more information, see the Metadata Sidecar Files page.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Marsu42

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 08, 2015, 07:22:56 AM
Great, glad you figured this out.

The only question remains: Is there a *batch* way to do this and just call exiftool once, i.e. "exiftool -TagsFromFile (whateverthename).xmp (whateverthename).dng"? That's because exiftool has a large overhead when starting pearl, at least on my system. Thanks!

Phil Harvey

Yes.  Read the reference I gave.  See the "Batch processing" section.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Marsu42

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 08, 2015, 07:27:09 AM
Yes.  Read the reference I gave.  See the "Batch processing" section.

Thanks again for pointing it out, and sorry for not properly rtfm'ing but it's always difficult to find just the correct spot for all the options :-)