Warning: Can't change Postscript:Creator of Illustrator files

Started by Govind, July 15, 2015, 01:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govind

could anybody help out me why i was getting this error when i was working on .eps file

Warning: Can't change Postscript:Creator of Illustrator files

Thread-7326950 2015-07-02 01:21:09,063 | ERROR | session=       | user=           | STDERR | Warning: Can't change Postscript:Creator of Illustrator files - C:/temp/866510122_1435814468060/123RF_29121084.eps

Phil Harvey

ExifTool uses this tag to identify Adobe Illustrator files, so it won't allow it to be changed.

If you know of any other way to distinguish this type of file from other Postscript files, let me know.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Govind

Hi Phil ,

Thanks for your reply.Actually i tried for two eps files .for one file iam getting this issue and unable to open in Adobe illustrator. For the other file it was working fine . please see the logs below .

For the file i got an issue
Thread-7326950 2015-07-02 01:21:09,063 | ERROR | session=       | user=           | STDERR | Warning: Can't change Postscript:Creator of Illustrator files - C:/temp/866510122_1435814468060/123RF_29121084.eps
Thread-7326949 2015-07-02 01:21:09,065 | INFO  | session=       | user=           | STDOUT | Writing MIE-Doc:Title
Writing PostScript:Title .

For the file which it executes fine is 

Thread-7344845 2015-07-02 02:54:09,392 | INFO  | session=       | user=           | STDOUT | Writing MIE-Doc:Title
Writing PostScript:Title
Writing PDF:Title if tag exists
Writing PNG:Title
Writing Panasonic:Title if tag exists
Writing XMP-xmp:Title if tag exists
Writing XMP-dc:Title
Writing XMP-pdf:Title if tag exists
Writing PNG:Description
Writing XMP-xmp:Description if tag exists
Writing XMP-dc:Description
Writing PDF:Subject if tag exists
Writing PostScript:Subject
Writing XMP-xmpMM:Subject if tag exists
Writing XMP-dc:Subject
Writing XMP-pdf:Subject if tag exists
Writing XMP-dc:Rights
Writing PDF:Creator if tag exists
Writing PostScript:Creator
Writing XMP-dc:Creator
Writing XMP-pdf:Creator if tag exists
Deleting XMP-plus:ImageSupplierName
Deleting XMP-plus:ImageCreatorName
Deleting XMP-plus:CopyrightOwnerName
Deleting XMP-iptcExt:AdditionalModelInformation
Deleting XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedSublocation
Deleting XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedCity
Deleting XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedProvinceState
Deleting XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedCountryName
Deleting XMP-iptcExt:Loca

could you please help out me on this

Govind

Hi Phil,

Please find the screenshot attached . while iam opening in Adobe-illustrator facing an issue  .

Phil Harvey

So the file opened fine in Illlustrator before you wrote it?  What was the exiftool command you used?  Could you send me the original Illustrator file (philharvey66 at gmail.com)?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Govind

Hi phil ,

Please find the command iam using and the version iam using is exiftool-8.61

exiftool -v3 "-Title=123RF_29121084.eps"  "-Subject=Stock Graphic, graphic, stock, 123RF, inforgraphic, Set flat design square icons, business, calculator, calendar, camera, collection, communications, computer, connection, contemporary, data, design, e mail, email, envelope, equipment, film, flat, glass, group, hand, illustration, infographic, interface, internet, label, letter, lock, magnifying, message, mobile, music, network, note, notebook, objects, office, organization, painting, pencil, phone, photo, report, set, shape, sign, simplicity, symbol, technology, telephone, icons,  " "-Rights=Unlimited" "-Creator=media.center2@us.mcd.com" "-ImageSupplierName=" "-ImageCreatorName=" "-CopyrightOwnerName=123RF" "-AdditionalModelInformation=" "-LocationCreatedSublocation=" "-LocationCreatedCity=" "-LocationCreatedProvinceState=" "-LocationCreatedCountryName=Global" "-LocationCreatedWorldRegion=Global^Category Completed" "-PersonInImage=" "-Event=" "-ExportersLoginID=e1223850" "-ExportersLoginName=MEYER, FRAN" "-DateOfExport=Thu Jul 02 2015 01:21:04 GMT-0400 (EDT)" C:\Users\gmekala\Desktop\Exif\123RF_29121084.eps

Phil Harvey

OK.  Judging from your screen capture, it seems that your version of Illustrator may not support the extended line feature in PostScript files.  I can't verify this right now because I can't run Illustrator here.  I suggest shortening your Subject value, or writing XMP:Subject instead of Subject (which would also write PostScript:Subject, which appears to be causing your problem).

- Phil

Govind

Hi phil,

I tried by using the following command but iam getting the same warning .Please find the command below .For you reference i have attached the asset to this thread .

exiftool -XMP:Subject=Stock C:\Users\gmekala\Desktop\Exif\123RF_29121084.eps.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the sample EPS file, and for the simplified command.  This is an Adobe-3.1 format EPS file, which is written by Illustrator 9 and later, and should be able to support XMP.  What version of Illustrator are you using to read this?  If it is version 9 or later, maybe I should completely disable writing of XMP to Illustrator EPS files.  Currently it is only disabled for older (Adobe-3.0 format, Illustrator 8 and earlier) EPS files.

- Phil

Govind

Hi Phill,

Thanks for your help .Iam using Adobe Illustrato-cs6 of version 16.0.0 .

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks.  I will look into this to see if I can figure out the problem.  I hope there is a trial version of AI 16.0.0 that I can use.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

I finally got a trial version of Illustrator working, but unfortunately the file you sent is not the original EPS file.  Could you please upload the original (working) version of the file?  Thanks.

- Phil

Govind

Hi phil,

Thanks for your support , That is the original file which i shared earlier .

Phil Harvey

No.  The file you posted had already been edited with ExifTool

I think what I'll probably do is just disable writing of AI EPS files completely, just to be safe.

- Phil

Govind

Hi phil
please find the attachment for original file .

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  However, this raises more questions.  If I take this original file and run your command, then AI has no problem with the result.

What version of ExifTool are you running?

Can you reproduce the problem from the original file?

- Phil

Govind

Hi phil ,

We are using Exiftool 8.61 version . Could you try by executing the below command for that asset which i shared previously or i attached to this post

-v3 "-Title=123RF_29121084.eps" "-Description=Stock Graphic Set flat design square icons " "-Subject=Stock Graphic, graphic, stock, 123RF, inforgraphic, Set flat design square icons, business, calculator, calendar, camera, collection, communications, computer, connection, contemporary, data, design, e mail, email, envelope, equipment, film, flat, glass, group, hand, illustration, infographic, interface, internet, label, letter, lock, magnifying, message, mobile, music, network, note, notebook, objects, office, organization, painting, pencil, phone, photo, report, set, shape, sign, simplicity, symbol, technology, telephone, icons,  " "-Rights=Unlimited" "-Creator=media.center2@us.mcd.com" "-ImageSupplierName=" "-ImageCreatorName=" "-CopyrightOwnerName=123RF" "-AdditionalModelInformation=" "-LocationCreatedSublocation=" "-LocationCreatedCity=" "-LocationCreatedProvinceState=" "-LocationCreatedCountryName=Global" "-LocationCreatedWorldRegion=Global^Category Completed" "-PersonInImage=" "-Event=" "-ExportersLoginID=e1223850" "-ExportersLoginName=MEYER, FRAN" "-DateOfExport=Wed Aug 26 2015 01:52:05 GMT-0400 (EDT)"C:\Users\fmeyer\Desktop\Dlwnd\123RF_29121084.eps .

And you mentioned that you don't get the issue while opening in AI after executing the command.Could you please let me know which version are you using and what is the command you used .

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  I can reproduce the problem using ExifTool 8.61 and AI 19.0.1.  Unfortunately, Adobe has changed something in the way AI writes XMP to EPS files, and it no longer follows the technique described in the XMP specification.  Until this is sorted out I have have disabled writing of XMP to AI EPS files.  So ExifTool 9.99 and later disables writing of XMP to AI EPS files to avoid this problem. 

- Phil

cmarcera

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I've just encountered this on some EPSes I'm trying to update.

Any word on this issue? I've updated to the latest version, 10.04.

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

Yes.  ExifTool no longer writes to AI EPS files because it causes problems for AI.  (For some reason, Adobe doesn't stick to their own XMP specification when writing XMP to AI EPS files, and writing standard XMP is apparently a problem.)

- Phil

cmarcera

Alright, thanks. I'll keep checking back to see if this gets sorted out.

Thanks for a great tool!