Setting Rotation of mp4

Started by macin, August 21, 2015, 05:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiXLHH

Hi Phil

Perfect, thanks for your explanation and your outstanding support!

I guess I could run exiftool perl script directly on the NAS for the big jobs.

- Axel

wywh

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 02, 2018, 11:13:34 AM
I've just released ExifTool 10.89, which gives you the ability to set the rotation of MOV/MP4 videos.

Oh great! "-rotation=90" etc seems to work on all [QuickTime] movies like mov, mp4, m4v and even 3gp, right?

270 (CW) seems to be the same as -90 (CCW) -- are negative rotations OK?

Video resolution is reported the same after the rotation, though (for example 1920 × 1080, not 1080 x 1920 as I'd expect)?

MPEG Streamclip and QuickTime Player 7 correctly display even a 45 rotation while QuickTime Player 10.5 and IINA ignore such weird setting.

Is the -rotation command mentioned somewhere in the exiftool manual? Is this a good place to search commands with a word like "rotat":

https://exiftool.org/exiftool_pod.html

p.s. Over a year ago I used MPEG Streamclip to convert to H.264 mp4 all old movies that either refused to sync to Photos.app or to iPad via iTunes or displayed blank video on iPad. I rotated a few such movies in the process. All those (except the avi files) could be rotated via exiftool but of course the obsolete codecs were left intact.

- Matti

StarGeek

Quote from: wywh on August 16, 2020, 06:29:01 AM
Is the -rotation command mentioned somewhere in the exiftool manual? Is this a good place to search commands with a word like "rotat":

Rotation isn't a command, it's a Tag and can be found on the Composite tag page.

For searching, I often do google searches on the site using the Site: keyword.  For example, searching just the tag names, I'll use site:exiftool.org/TagNames.  There's also the TagName pdf if you want to search through all the list of all 23K+ tag names offline.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).