News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Can ExifTool geotag video files?

Started by lsquare, August 06, 2014, 04:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lsquare

I've spent a lot of time researching this subject without much success. It seems like there isn't even a metadata standard for videos. Devices like the iPhone 5s can geotag videos that it creates. It's the same with Instagram. I don't know of any tools that will allow me to geotag video files (MP4, MOV, or AVI). Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Phil Harvey

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm currently on vacation.

ExifTool can geotag MOV and MP4 videos using XMP metadata.  It currently doesn't have write support for AVI.

There is no good standard for doing this, however, and I doubt you will find any utilities that will recognize an XMP-geotagged movie.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

lsquare

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 15, 2014, 07:57:58 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm currently on vacation.

ExifTool can geotag MOV and MP4 videos using XMP metadata.  It currently doesn't have write support for AVI.

There is no good standard for doing this, however, and I doubt you will find any utilities that will recognize an XMP-geotagged movie.

- Phil

No problem and thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I don't know what XMP metadata is. Does that involve sidecar files? Basically I'm looking for a solution that will enable iPhoto or the iOS Photos app to recognize it. How does the iPhone geotag the videos that it produces? Does Apple even provide documentation for that?

Phil Harvey

The iPhone writes GPS in native QuickTime metadata.  I have not seen documentation for this however.  Other than perhaps AtomicParsley (with a lot of hard work), I don't know of any software that would be able to write this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

lsquare

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 16, 2014, 02:26:37 PM
The iPhone writes GPS in native QuickTime metadata.  I have not seen documentation for this however.  Other than perhaps AtomicParsley (with a lot of hard work), I don't know of any software that would be able to write this.

- Phil

So I guess there is nothing on the horizon that will allow me to geotag my videos? I wonder why videos don't have an EXIF standard of its own?

craynicon

Hi Phil.

Could you please tell me the syntax to geotag a MP4 video with ExifTool? I don't see nothing about it in the documentation.

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

craynicon

I've seen that, but it's about geotagging images, not videos. :/

Phil Harvey

For an MP4 you would need to write XMP.

See the 4th example here for how to do this.

Also, you need to add -ext mp4 to your command if you are specifying a directory name.

- Phil