Show photoshop "Work Path" with photoshop_paths.config

Started by jeremy2015, September 16, 2015, 01:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy2015

Is there a way to show the path called "work path" that is saved in a photoshop file if you make a path and don't rename it?
The photoshop_paths.config shows all saved paths except the "work path"
The workflow at my workplace relies on the "work path" being present in every file. We work with large files and it would be great to be able to confirm the path's existence without opening the file.
Cheers
Jeremy

Phil Harvey

Hi Jeremy,

Could you send me a sample with a work path so I can take a look.  And if possible, send the same image without the work path for comparison.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jeremy2015

Thanks Phil,
three files are attached, one without a path, one with the default photoshop "work path", and one with that path renamed to "Path 1".
As you can see only the file with the renamed path returns a path name.
Thanks so much for your help.
Cheers
Jeremy

Here is the output from the three files ...

MACWS00025069:image-exiftool-10.00 north$ ./exiftool -config photoshop_paths.config -allpaths forum_samples/*.tif
======== forum_samples/JDCAP_4303_with_renamed_path.tif
Path 7d0                        : Path 1
======== forum_samples/JDCAP_4303_with_work_path.tif
======== forum_samples/JDCAP_4303_without_workpath.tif
    3 image files read

Phil Harvey

Hi Jeremy,

OK, the work path is stored in an "unknown" tag called "WorkingPath".  Adding -u gives you access to these "unknown" tags:

exiftool -workingpath -u DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jeremy2015

Thanks Phil,
that did the trick.
I just tested it on a folder of 2500  250MB files and it completed the task in a few seconds.
Our previous "solution" ran a script in adobe bridge that required each file to be opened to check for the path. It would have taken hours!
Cheers
Jeremy

jeremy2015

Hi Phil,
I'm trying to use exiftool to move all the files without a working path into a new folder.I'm not sure what condition I can use in an if statement would detect these files. (or even if an -if statement is necessary)
This is what I thought would work (along with a lot of other guesses) all to no avail.

./exiftool -u -directory='no_path' -if 'not defined $workingpath' dir

any clues?

Cheers
Jeremy

Phil Harvey

Hi Jeremy,

What you have written should work if you get your quoting correct:

./exiftool -u -directory='no_path' -if 'not defined $workingpath' DIR

- Phil

jeremy2015

Thanks again Phil!
It works perfectly. I have been using the TextEdit application to build my commands. I didn't notice the incorrect quote characters. It explains a lot of the erratic results I have been getting.
Cheers
Jeremy