feature request: Bushnell Trophy Cam HD MakerNotes

Started by jmaccarthy, May 14, 2014, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmaccarthy

Hello, I am using ExifTool to extract data from the attached camera trap images taken by a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD, but receive a warning (Unrecognized MakerNotes).

Are there any plans to improve functionality for Bushnell camera traps, as has been done with Reconyx?

Thanks so much for your time and excellent tool!

Best,
Jimmy

Phil Harvey

Hi Jimmy,

There is no information in the maker notes of these images.  They are all binary zeros.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mjfarrell

Hi - I just wanted to follow up to this previous post to see if there have been any developments, or to get some additional information about the MakerNotes for Bushnell cameras.

I am using what appears to be a similar camera (Bushnell 2015 TrophyCam HD Aggressor). I've been able to successfully use ExifTool to extract some metadata directly into R.

However, I know that there are a few pieces of information the camera records (as they are printed on each photograph) that I cannot find in the EXIF data. These are the Camera Name, the Temperature, and the trigger type for the photograph (either M for motion sensing, or T for timelapse).

I'm guessing these are in the MakerNotes but I'm not sure.

Phil, I see that you say there is no information in the maker notes of the images provided, but I was wondering how you accessed this raw information? I think there are MakerNotes images in my files as I can see the following:

"MakerNoteUnknown (SubDirectory) --> | | | Warning = [minor] Unrecognized MakerNotes"

The following is an example photo that I am trying to extract this information from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4rc9wprjjf5afz/06160050.JPG?dl=0

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Phil Harvey

Yup.  No useful information in the maker notes.  Just 5 bytes, all zero.

The information printed on the image is unfortunately not stored in the metadata.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mjfarrell

Okay thanks Phil!

Seems a bit unusual to me, but no problem.

Phil Harvey

I've seen this sort of thing with other minor makes.  You can see for yourself with either the -v3 (or -v4) option, or by looking at the -htmlDump output.

- Phil